THRIVE: 7 Tipes for Managing Time


  THRIVE
7 Tips for Managing Time



         People know that I have 100,000 roles that I have committed to in my life. I am a mom (of two small children), wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, science coach, health coach, leadership coach, teacher-author, blogger, the list goes on  Everyday, I have people asking me, “How do you have time for all of this?” Today, I am going explain how I do it all. These tips will be clear and to the point so that you can THRIVE in all of the roles you play in your life! 
        
Tip 1: Healthy Balance
We all need a healthy balance in our lives. Think about a balloon with air in it. If you put too much pressure on one side, the other side will inflate and get super large. If you put more pressure on that one side, you increase the chances of that other side popping. That’s an example of an unhealthy balance.
We tend to find ourselves in an unhealthy balance when we feel overwhelmed, anxious, stressed, etc. To create a healthy balance, we must put our priorities in order. Create a list of 5 10 things you are responsible for in your everyday life. Now rank each of those roles 1 10. Can you eliminate some of those roles? Some of those roles may be toxic to your health, which brings me to my next tip

Tip 2: Time for Yourself
         Who are the most important people in your life? Do you ever consider putting your needs before theirs?  It may sound selfish, but putting your needs before the most important people in your life will make you a better person. I’m not saying you neglect those important people, nor rob them for their time, but rather, you MUST take time to nurture yourself each and everyday. You can do this through exercise, eating healthy, meditation and prayer, reading, enjoying a hobby, etc. Taking the time for yourself helps relieve stress, helps you prepare for life’s challenges, and because of that, it helps you to be a better person to all of those who are most important to you in your life.

Tip 3: Plan Your Day
         It took some time in creating a schedule, but it has been worth every effort because I have been so successful in completing everything on my to-do list. Knowing what’s ahead on the day eliminates over commitment.

Tip 4: Just Say “No!”
         Once you have your schedule down packed, you are going to be more aware of what you need to accomplish in the days ahead. When someone asks you to do something, you can take a look at your schedule and ask yourself these three things,
1.    “Can I commit to this?”
2.    “By doing this, will it fill up my bucket?”
3.    “Does this follow my goals?”
If you say, “No!” to any of these questions, then you should say, “No!” to the person who asked you to do something in the first place. Just because you said, “No!” will not make that person dislike you (disclaimer: they may be initially upset), and if they do dislike you, then let that be their problem. You’ve got too much going on in your life to give it your best. They’d probably be more upset at you if you said, “Yes!” and only gave it a little effort instead of your best.

Tip 5: Exercise in the Morning
         At 4:30am, my alarm goes off. I get up, get dressed, and put in a workout. To me, that is the hardest thing to accomplish throughout the day because so many things tend to pop up throughout the day. When making my schedule, I knew that I had to schedule my workouts during the day when I had the least amount of interruptions. I know that if I wake up at 4:30, I’ll be the only person awake in our family, and I’ll have the most willpower at that time!
By putting my exercise first thing in the morning, I know that I am not going to have the choice to say no throughout the day. Your willpower is like an energy/stamina bar in a video game. It starts off as a full bar, but as the day goes on, you have more and more tasks to complete, and your willpower dwindles. By the end of the day, your willpower is at an all time low, and it is very easy to put off the exercise.
Exercising in the morning sends off dopamine and serotonin in your brain causing you to be happier throughout the day. Imagine going to work happier and the copier breaks again Hey, no big deal! You are a smart and strong person. You’ve got this!

Tip 6: Take Breaks
         I personally believe that no person should be sitting down for more than 29 minutes at a time. Time yourself, take short breaks, and return back to your task. In doing this, you prevent burn out by keeping your brain fresh and on task.

Tip 7: Cut Out the Unnecessary
         Do you really need to watch that show at 10 o’clock at night? Do you really need to check up on your notifications every five minutes?  The answer is quite simple. You do not! People, if you want to be more effective throughout the day, then put the social media and TVs away. Set aside a small amount of time where you can check your notifications and watch your favorite shows, but try not to mix those with your tasks at hand. Your smartphone is the biggest distraction to you. In fact, people are dying in car crashes checking them. Why would they be safe doing any other task?  Set aside time solely for the smartphone.

Now that you have these seven tips, you are going to apply them to your life today to make you a more productive, more present, and more accomplished person. I promise that by doing these things, you are going to see improvements in relationships, your self-confidence will increase, and your stress level will decrease. Above all, take time for yourself and love the ones around you!

-Sarah



Sarah is a second grade teacher, science coach, and an author for TpT

No comments:

Post a Comment